The Greater Vancouver Regional Steering Committee on Homelessness was established in March 2000. It brings together a range of agencies and organizations involved in services, programs and facilities directed toward helping individuals and families who are homeless or at-risk of homelessness in the GVRD.
The RSCH developed and oversees the implementation of the Regional Homelessness Plan for Greater Vancouver. The Plan is titled Three Ways to Home to reflect the three components of the strategy to address homelessness in the region: affordable housing, support services and adequate income. The Regional Homelessness Plan has guided the provision of services and shelter to people who are homeless or at-risk or homelessness in Greater Vancouver since 2000.
About Homelessness Action Week
October 7 – 13, 2011 is the seventh annual Homelessness Action Week in Metro Vancouver. During the week organizers focus attention on homelessness in the Greater Vancouver Region and organize events for people who are homeless.
During the week there are events and activities that:
- highlight programs and approaches to solving homelessness that are proving effective
- link homeless people to services through events and outreach
- educate about ways that individuals, organizations and businesses can get involved in solving homelessness
The week is supported by a coordinated public awareness campaign.
Typically, Homelessness Action Week generates the following:
- Lower Mainland municipalities declare the week Homelessness Action Week.
- More than 50 events are held, the majority for people who are homeless.
- Over 100 hundred businesses contribute goods and services.
- Over 30 community organizations and hundreds of volunteers participate.
- The Georgia Straight and local radio stations provide invaluable media sponsorship.
- Posters and bus shelter ads appear throughout the region.
- Schools, business and community groups hold special events and fundraising drives.
Ethos Strategy Group is an independent communications firm in Vancouver that is co-ordinating Homelessness Action Week on behalf of the RSCH.
Design HQ provides expert design skills and creative ideas to the Homelessness Action Week website and public awareness campaign.